It’s hard to believe another year has passed and it’s Memorial Day again. While honoring the memory of American soldiers killed in combat, we also welcome the warm weather and sunny skies that indicate the unofficial start of summer.
Here are some easy green tips that honor the Earth and help reduce your impact this summer.
FOOD & BEVERAGES
- Treat your family to fresh delicious food while supporting your local farmer’s market.
- Transport your goodies to the park or beach in a natural willow picnic basket and be sure to bring your re-usable water bottles.
- If you have to use disposable plates, napkins, cutlery and cups, please choose those made from recycled paper or biodegradable materials such as sugar cane fibers or corn-based “plastics.”
- Barbecue solar style! Whether you’re in the middle of nowhere or in your own backyard, solar ovens use the power of the sun to cook your meals pollution-free!
- Recycle bottles and cans
- Compost fruit and veggie scraps
- Kids love recycled plastic beach pails to build castles in the sand
- Organic cotton and bamboo beach towels come in all sorts of fun colors
- Biodegradable sunscreen will help protect you from the sun’s harsh rays and won’t leave harmful chemicals on your skin or in the ocean
THE BACKYARD OASIS
- Eco-friendly furniture, decorative accents, decks, fences, lighting and plants can add style to your outdoor “rooms.” Read my earlier post about “greening your outdoor spaces” here.
- Bicycle or walk to local destinations and events such as holiday parades
- Pick up litter along the way and you’ll prevent pollution to streams, rivers and the ocean and ultimately help save sea life.